Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Plea to the Gods that Be

Once in a while I get this urge. An urge so overpowering that I start to go just a little mad. The urge to move forward, pack up all the loose ends in my life, and hit the high trail never looking back.

That urge has struck me again recently. Perhaps it's a symptom of the general unrest with the company at which I am currently employed. Seriously, the place I'm at now is like poison for management. I have been working here for just over two years, and starting tomorrow will be on my fifth general manager. It's not a horrible place to work, I like the work I do, I like the people I work with but for whatever reason it's just unable to get a good grip to push itself out of the mess it's in.

I don't know much about corporate politics and the red-tape that follows it, but I do know that it obviously is having nothing but detrimental effects on my office. Each successive manager I have worked with has been an increasingly better fit for the role (don't know much about the newbie yet) and yet they still keep dropping like flies. I've had great relationships with many of my bosses too. The last two that have come and gone I could have seen as mentors should they have stuck around long enough to be such.

Though I have been fortunate enough in my careers to have had many great people lead me along the way, teaching me their ways, showing me how business really works. It's been tremendous to work with such great people, and I have learned a great deal from them all. I think the greatest thing I have ever been taught though is this, "you either shit, or get off the can."

The one thing that has been a recurring factor in my learnings is that if you aren't happy with your current position you either learn to deal with it, maybe finding a way to better suit it for yourself, or you find something else to do.

That's where I sit today. It's time for a reinvention. I need to regenerate, this Doctor's body is all used up. Sure my new body may come with a goofball attitude and an affinity for bow-ties and fezzes but is that such a bad thing? I don't think so, change is an inevitable function of life and it's best to learn to embrace it with open arms so as not to get slipped up in a moment and finding yourself lost with no idea of where to go or what to do.

I've begun a journey in search of finding my new Doctor, I've found something highly promising and exciting, and now I wait. I wait with the bated breath of a dancer about to perform his first solo act shrouded in the intense white stage light. I wait with the patience of a younger me the night before Christmas. I wait sitting here typing these words as a plea to the gods that be, hear my prayer, hear my cries, help me to move forward once more. One more step closer to the other end of the board, to the checkmate, to the dreams that inhabit my mind.

Oh, and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment